|Now the #1 Florida Prepping Search Result on Google, Yahoo, Bing, and DuckDuckGo|
Share this page
with FaceBook friends
Join Our Group
How to build a rain water collection system.
1. Roof area times .56 equals gallons of water per inch of rain. (1,000 sq feet times .56 equals 560 gallons of water.)
2. Things you'll need: Approx. total cost $100 - $150
55 gallon plastic drum. Rural King has them for $20 but you can get them free some places.
4. Lengths of roof gutter for your home or carport. I used my carport.
5. 3 hangers for every 10 feet of gutter
6. A downspout fitting and length of down spout to reach the barrel.
7. Splices to connect the lengths of gutter and the down spout adapter.
8. A funnel to direct the water from the downspout into the barrel. Plan on a screen to collect debris.
A 3/4" spigot for a garden hose and a 3/4" bulk head fitting for the barrel itself.
Cement blocks or something else to raise the barrel off the ground a little for the hose to attach.
11. Here's a link to get you started. Lowes Gutter Systems
Project Complete. Will add more barrels at later date.
13. The hardest and most time consuming part of the project was getting the blocks level. lol
14. The final piece of the puzzle I'm working on is a quick drain valve at the bottom of each barrel.
Very cool. I had just finished this project when a very brief thunderstorm rolled in. Maybe 5 minutes of rain.
2nd Update: Please, no excuses about living in an HOA controlled housing project.
Total Cost to add 2nd 55 gallon drum....$56...110 gallons total renewable water storage.
You could add as many barrels as you want.
If you select "Also post on Facebook" box, it will appear on your facebook page as well.
|Directory of Prepping and Survival Articles at Florida Prepper|
|Your first Solar System.||Survival Cooking without power|
|Florida Prepper Amazon Links||Generator Faraday Cage|
|Survival Power Inverters||Purifying Water with Pool Shock|
|Florida Prepper Facebook Group||Rain Water Collecting for Disasters|
|Survival Food Storage||Generators for Surviving power outages.|
|Prepper Web Links||Stored food Suggestions|
|Ham and CB Radios||Blackout Curtains|
|Drugs needed for Survival||The Subject of Guns|
|Situational Awareness||Survival Humor|
|FaceBook Prepping Groups||YouTube Prepping Videos|
|Transportation for SHTF||Survival Gardening for Dummies|
|Florida Prepper Message Board||Why We Prepare|
|Florida-Prepper.com site guide||Weather Channels always wrong|
|Florida Land for Sale -- Cheap!||Alpicool C20 Refrigerator Review|
|Bugging In or Bugging Out||Alpicool C20 Hidden Settings|
|Prepping for Hurricanes|